Whats better than chicken and cheese in a casserole? Chicken with three cheeses. Macho Man Randy Savage OH YEAH.
Back to reality for a minute. I stole this recipe from my mother, who I assume got it from somewhere else. This recipe however is significantly different in that it has been upgraded to be used by people who need more protein than the government RDA would suggest. The original recipe called for perhaps a pound of chicken meat, and I am tripling that. When I made this the first time, it was sort of chicken flavored, but I kept wondered where the meat was. Wonder no more!
A note before we get started. I use Dreamfields noodles. There are debates on whether they are actually lower carb or not, but I can tell you from my personal experience that they do not raise my blood sugar anywhere nearly as much as standard noodles do. If you want to try them, go for it, if not, my feelings won’t be hurt. I’m a man, I don’t care what noodles you pick.
- 8 0z lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 (10 3/4oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (I use shredded and not the powdery stuff for this)
- 3 pounds cooked chicken or turkey
- 6 slices american cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain, but keep damp. Horrible things happen to lasagna noodles that dry out touching each other
2. While noodles cook, melt butter in a pan and cook the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Stir in the condensed soup, basil, and chili powder. I hope you have a large pan here, because now we add the chicken and cottage cheese too. If you need to, get a large mixing bowl and mix it all together
3. Spread the 1/3 cup of salsa in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish. Add half the noodles, then half the chicken mixture, half the parmesan, and lay the american cheese on top. Add another layer of noodles, the rest of the chicken mixture, and top with the rest of the parmesan.
4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Calories: 3454
- Protein: 439 g
- Fat: 130 g
- Carb: 132 g